Thursday 21 October 2010

els amics de les arts

I have been following the musical adventures of Els Amics de les Arts for quite a while now. I really enjoyed "Mecanoscrit del segon origen" from their Catalonautes EP. "Doctorat en Romànic Medieval" from follower EP (Roulotte Polar) forced me to scream out loud: Yes! That's me who you are singing about! When Castafiore Cabaret (their third EP) came out I was not quite sure what to think about and up to today I still quite unsure. Yes, it has the band's biggest hit song "A vegades" and the song "El Código Da Vinci" which is well rounded, but the rest of the EP is mostly forgettable. And about the EP divertimento Càpsules Hoi-Poi, so it does its job: it is fun to listen to and it brings us back to our childhood. To the childhood of those who were raisedwith Dragon Ball, of course.
And then, Bed & Breakfast arrived. A proper CD finally! A long player with no fillers.
The first time I listened to it, it didn't impress me much, to be honest. The second time, sometunes got stuck in my head unconsciously. After the third time I was desperate for more!
Yes
, each one of the songs, or microstories as some like to call them, grabs you on their particular way. You can't help but smiling with the love story in "4-3-3" explained as a football match. You get involved in the tenderness of "L'home que va matar Liberty Valance" and "Reykjavic". You feel simpaty and even identification with "L'home que treballa fent de gos". And when it gets to the end, to the "Bed & Breakfast" song, you may wonder if it is a cover of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" or an opera rock but in any way, you are sure that they have got it right.
And maybe it is true that "La merda se'ns menja" but as long as we can smile about it, everything will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment