Friday 22 October 2010

experiences, 1

Half eight and I'm already on the road. I'm sleepy: I went out yesterday. I turn on the CD player and Cherub Rock brings me back to life ("I want that honey!"), "Quiet" pushes me, precisely, to not being quiet at all, and well, "Today" still is "Today". It remains one of the main indie anthems, an ode to distorsion, to the head-banging, but also to melody, to youth, to that ice-cream van covered in paint that appeared on the promotional clip. Yes, "Today" takes us back in time and, sometimes, also in space. We remember the American sunsettings, those lived and those imagined, the lingering sunsets from the cliffs...
Then, "Hummer" shows us, already, what the Smashing Pumpkins were going to evolve into. It shows us their most melodic face, the most nostalgic and intimate one, the same one that spreads over CD 2 from Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness and Adore (hidden behind the machines and guitars).
And when we think we are for in for an easy ride, when we believe that the album will continue full of distorsed guitars and heartbreaking melodies, out of the blue comes track number 6. Acoustic guitars, and bells, and violins, and that deep voice: "Disarm" is on and it really disarms us. The music touches us, the voice is talking to us, we shiver when Billy Corgan screams: "I used to be a little boy".
And right at this point I stop the car. I don't care anymore about getting late to work: "Disarm" is playing and we must listen to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment